Sunday, December 19, 2010

Sidetracked girl makes cookies

As much as I'd love to change this part of my personality, I'm a fly by the seat of my pants kind of girl.  Being organized and prepared is not my game. I wish I knew how! Today I'm going to a cookie exchange party. I did not bake ahead of time. I woke up this morning and was out of flour and butter. Oops. 

So I was off early this morning to pick up my baking essentials for my Jam Thumbprint Cookies. I got a little sidetracked when I was there and I saw this gingerbread mix that my friend Jen just posted about. I LOOVE gingerbread, the taste of it just makes me feel Christmasy. I had a few bites of gingerbread cake at Earls last night and it put me in the mood to make it. So I picked up a box.

So this morning I finished my Jam Thumbprints. I decided I had to bake the gingerbread like now. I was too excited. Plus it's so easy, because it's a mix. While it was whirling around in the mixer, I had a look around for my cookie cutters. Could not find them ANYWHERE! I seriously can't remember the last time I used them. I found a pumpkin cookie cutter. Cute, but no. So I began rummaging around to see what I could make with the gingerbread dough.
I love my mixer. I know, I'm using the wrong attachment. It's only one I have left. I don't want to talk about it.
 In my cupboard I found some white chocolate and red candy melts. I melted some of each to drizzle over the cookies. Ta-da!
Aren't they cute?
Ok, now I'm done being sidetracked. Here is the recipe for my Jam Thumbprints!

                                                            Jam Thumbprint Cookies




Ingredients
  • 1 stick + 3 tablespoons (2/3 cup) salted butter, softened
  • 1/3 cup granulated sugar.
  • 2 large egg yolks
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
  • Topping:
    favorite jam
Directions
  •  Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
  • Lightly grease cookie sheets, set aside
  • In a large bowl, with an electric mixer cream together butter and sugar, until light and fluffy.
  • Add egg yolks, vanilla extract, and salt and beat well.
  • Gradually add flour, mix until well combined.
  • Shape dough into 3/4 inch balls
  • Place 1 inch apart on cookie sheets
  • Press your thumb down into each cookie to create a depression.
  • Bake for 15 minutes or until the edges turn golden brown. Remove from oven and move the cookies from the cookie sheet to a cooling surface.
  • Once they're cooled, fill the depression with jam.
Makes about 36 cookies.

Whether you choose to use a box mix, bake from scratch, or just eat other people's creations, it's all part of the Christmas fun! Enjoy!


xoxo,
T

2 comments:

  1. I love my Kitchenaid mixer too! You can buy replacement attachments online, and I don't think they're very expensive either...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did order one but it was the wrong size it hit the sides of my bowl. Mine came as a set from Costco I think, I got it for Xmas last year. But it was like coated in this grey paint thing and it came off in the dishwasher so I only have the whisk left lol!

    ReplyDelete