Every once in awhile, I come across a recipe that makes me go "YES!!""
This is one of those recipes. I originally made it for a gathering I had a few weeks ago. I had it pre-prepared in the fridge but everyone was so stuffed I didn't bother making it. Turns out I sold my guests short! Sorry guys, I owe you some of these. The next day I popped them in the oven and had some for lunch. I also took a batch over to my brothers house because I thought my nephew would love them. I got a text shortly after I dropped them off from my sis in law saying they'd been devoured. They are not only yummy but FUN! If you ask me, the world needs more fun.
Macaroni and Cheese Cupcakes
- 1/2 pound elbow macaroni
- 1 1/2 tablespoons unsalted butter, plus more for brushing
- 1/4 cup freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup milk
- 4 ounces sharp cheddar cheese, shredded (1 packed cup)
- 4 ounces deli-sliced American cheese, chopped(I skipped this and put a bit more cheddar in)
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- Preheat the oven to 425°. In a large saucepan of boiling salted water, cook the macaroni until al dente, about 5 minutes. Drain, shaking off the excess water.
- Brush four 12-cup, nonstick muffin tins with butter. Sprinkle with 2 tablespoons of the Parmigiano; tap out the excess.(Spray with Pam is another option)
- In a large saucepan, melt the 1 1/2 tablespoons of butter. Whisk in the flour over moderate heat for 2 minutes. Whisk in the milk and cook, whisking, until boiling, about 5 minutes. Add the cheddar and American cheeses and whisk until melted. Off the heat, whisk in the egg yolk and paprika. Fold in the macaroni.
- Spoon slightly rounded tablespoons of the macaroni into the prepared muffin cups, packing them gently. Sprinkle the remaining 2 tablespoons of Parmigiano on top.***
- Bake the mini macs in the upper and middle thirds of the oven for about 10 minutes, until golden and sizzling. Let cool for 5 minutes. Using a small spoon, carefully loosen the mini macs, transfer to a platter and serve.
***I took the block off cheddar and cute 12 thin slices of cheddar and placed one on each mini mac, THEN put the Parmesan on top. Extra cheesey goodness.