Wednesday, December 11, 2013

New Traditions: A Christmas Eve Box



When I was growing up, every year we got to open one present on Christmas Eve and it was always new pyjamas to wear that night. I've never tried, but I'm pretty sure it would feel wrong to go to sleep on Christmas Eve NOT wearing new PJs.

pjs from first married Christmas

Leigh and I continued this tradition when we got married, which I love. Last year, I decided to add a new twist to our Christmas Eve tradition.

matching PJs last year

I made a Christmas box inspired from Pinterest. I just used a box I had laying around the house, and I put in our new panamas, our favourite Candy, a copy of Home Alone, and glass Coca Cola bottles. I think I probably put in some kind of treat for the dog as well.


When I was unpacking the decorations this year, I noticed that one of my boxes was looking a little worse for wear. All of our sentimental ornaments are placed in a separate box and not packed with the other decorations, I keep them in the house for safekeeping. I decided that I would get a box that could be used for Christmas ornaments AND our Christmas eve box. I got this one at Michaels and used a 40% off coupon.

Of course we are just big kids, so if you have little kids, there are more ideas. Here's a whole list:

*new pajamas for the family
*santa hats
*a new Christmas movie
*favourite Christmas treats (ours are quality street and ovation sticks)
*hot chocolate and marshmallows
*new Christmas mugs
*popcorn
*pre-assembled cookie mix in a jar
*candy canes
*gingerbread men ready made to decorate
*a new Christmas book to read before bed
*Reindeer food to sprinkle on the lawn (oatmeal/sugar/glitter)
*A special ornament for the tree
*Christmas candle
*a new Christmas teddy to snuggle with
                                                       *treats for the dog or cat or a new stuffy

If anyone has any other ideas to include, post them here!





No comments:

Post a Comment