Saturday, November 27, 2010

Christmas Traditions

It's nearly December which means that basically the Christmas season is already in full swing around here. I thought I'd do a post on all my favourite Christmas traditions and activities. I love hearing about other people's traditions as well because sometimes it gives you new ideas on how to make the season even more special. Also because sometimes it's hard to incorporate things you loved about Christmas as a child into adulthood. I'm one of those people that always wants everything to be perfect at Christmas and that sorta stopped working for me a few years ago. Now I just try to have as much fun as possible, no matter what happens.


This is what I have coming up in the Christmas fun department:
  • Tomorrow (Sunday) is our third annual chocolate making day with my mother and sister in law. It started out with just us three and we've expanded it with my mom, sister, brother's wife and now my sister's future mother-in-law. The more the merrier when it comes to ladies and chocolate! 
  • We always go to my grandparents house a few days before Christmas. Half of the grand-kids celebrate Christmas and half of them celebrate Hanukkah so it's fun to get together.  Plus my Grandma always makes au gratin potatoes, yum! 
  • My girlfriend always throws a cookie exchange, and that's always one of my favourite things because it's girl time which everyone knows I love. We eat, share cookies, and watch a Christmas movie, which is somehow always Elf. 
  • One of my favourite things to do this time of year is Christmas dates with my husband. One year, we went up Grouse mountain and I saw REAL reindeer which was the highlight of the evening for me! We also love to go for walks and look at all the Christmas lights. I think this year we'll go to the Christmas train, I haven't been in a few years.
  • I have always made a gingerbread house as long as I can remember. Years ago, they were hilariously bad. I remember one year we actually used some kind of glue because we couldn't get the pieces to stick together. Now they make the kits so easy but it's still so fun. My husband and I like to split the house down the middle and each decorate half and see whose is better. Many of the candies get eaten in the process of course.




  • Christmas Eve is my absolute favourite day of the year because it's the most exciting. One of the best traditions I've always had is getting new PJ'S on Christmas Eve. This is way more exciting now than when I was a kid, few things are more awesome as an adult than brand new PJS. As we all moved out and got married/engaged, we started doing this tradition on our own. Leigh did an excellent job last year.




 There are many other little traditions I have and I love adding new ones each year.  To me, this season is about embracing the joy in life and appreciating the little things, like watching your favourite childhood Christmas specials and shows.
I absolutely love spending time with family on Christmas Eve and Christmas day, and of course the lead up to Christmas. I'm looking forward to it even more because my nephew ill be turning 2 soon and I think he'll be so much fun to buy for this year! 
I will be posting more about my Christmas adventures in December! I'd love to know: What are your favourite traditions?

For now, time for some hot chocolate and a Christmas movie on TV! 


xoxo,
T

2 comments: