Monday, November 29, 2010

Super Simple Sugar Cookies

Last year was the first year I really got into baking. I used to make cookies and rice crispy squares as gifts to hand out to family and friends but most of that was assisted by my mom.
So around this time last year, I had my house decorated and I was in the mood to bake. I borrowed my mom’s kitchen aid mixer (and only returned it when I got my own for Christmas (such an awesome present, thanks Mom and Dad!) and went nuts. I found this sugar cookie recipe which I have made tons since then.
The great thing about it is you don’t have to refrigerate the dough!

I also love that they’re so versatile. You can eat them plain, sprinkled with a  bit of sugar before baking, with plain icing, with icing and sprinkles or my own personal favourite, substitute peppermint extract for vanilla in the icing and sprinkle crushed candy canes on top. So delicious and festive!
I don't have a picture of mine when I baked them, but I do have a picture of an empty plate next to the boys who devoured them:



Super Simple Sugar Cookies

Ingredients

  • 2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1 cup butter, softened
  • 1 1/2 cups white sugar
  • 1 egg
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Directions

  1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). In a small bowl, stir together flour, baking soda, and baking powder. Set aside.
  2. In a large bowl, cream together the butter and sugar until smooth. Beat in egg and vanilla. Gradually blend in the dry ingredients. Roll rounded teaspoonfuls of dough into balls, and place onto ungreased cookie sheets.
  3. Bake 8 to 10 minutes in the preheated oven, or until golden. Let stand on cookie sheet two minutes before removing to cool on wire racks.

Sugar Cookie Icing

Ingredients
  • 4 cups confectioners' sugar
  • 1/2 cup shortening
  • 5 tablespoons milk
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • food coloring

Directions

In a large bowl, cream together the confectioners' sugar and shortening until smooth. Gradually mix in the milk and vanilla with an electric mixer until smooth and stiff, about 5 minutes. Color with food coloring if desired.

Happy baking!

xoxo,
T

1 comment: