Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Serendipity 3 Frrrozen Hot Chocolate Recipe!

This is the first year I’ve ever been working in downtown Vancouver at Christmas time. I am loving it so far, it’s so festive! When I get off the Skytrain at Royal Centre, I’m greeted by gorgeous garland hanging every few feet and a giant sparkling tree. I’ve noticed more and more decorations popping up and with the freeeezing temperatures it definitely feels like Christmas is on it’s way.

All of the city decorations make me think of New York. I haven’t been yet, but it’s one of my dreams to go there in December. When I do get there, one of the first stops I’m going to make is Serependipity 3.


I have a bit of an obsession with this place, for never having set foot in it. I remember first seeing it in the movie Serependipity, with John Cusack and Kate Beckinsale. If you haven’t seen it, it’s a fun movie to watch! Anyways, they go to Serendipity 3 in the movie.


Fast forward a few years later and the restaurants famous dessert called Frrrozen Hot Chocolate is featured on Oprah. You can buy the mix for the dessert online, a thought which hadn’t occurred to me to try doing. I was more focused on the place than the dessert.


Last year, my mom found out about Frrrozen Hot Chocolate and had me order some off Amazon. I can’t really recommend doing this, somehow the shipping costs more than the actual mix.  

I think the first time we all had it was on Christmas Eve at my parent’s house, but from that first sip I was hooked. It is freaking AMAZING!! It’s basically a powdered mix that you mix with milk and ice and it has 14 different types of chocolate in it. Now it's our special thing, if we have a special event or just a crappy day, we make it. And we drink it out of red wine glasses because we're classy like that. Actually, I drink all of my frozen drinks out of red wine glasses because they're impossible to spill. Unlike Margarita glasses, as we found out from my birthday celebration!

This is seriously one of my favourite things on the planet and naturally I’m starting to panic because I am almost out of mix. I searched it online and found it on Oprah’s website. Thank you Oprah!


Frrrozen Hot Chocolate Recipe

Ingredients

*                             6 pieces (1/2-ounce) chocolate , a variety of your favorites
*                             2 teaspoons store-bought hot chocolate mix  
*                             1 1/2 tablespoons sugar
*                             1 1/2 cups milk
*                             3 cups ice
*                             Whipped cream
*                             Chocolate shavings

Directions

Chop the chocolate into small pieces. Place it in the top of a double boiler over simmering water. Stir occasionally until melted. Add the hot chocolate mix and sugar. Stir until completely melted. Remove from heat and slowly add ½ cup of milk until smooth. Cool to room temperature.

In a blender, place the remaining cup of milk, the room-temperature chocolate mixture and the ice. Blend on high speed until smooth and the consistency of a frozen daiquiri. Pour into a giant goblet and top with whipped cream and chocolate shavings.

Enjoy!

xoxo,
T

No comments:

Post a Comment